The Blockley Partnership would like to inform patients that, for their safety, we adopt the following procedures:
- The recommended British Dental Association guidelines for cross-infection
control are followed. This is because the only way to ensure each patient´s
safety is to assume that every patient presents a potential risk to every other
patient and indeed to the dentist and nurse. We practice the same methods of
cross-infection control for every patient.
- All instruments and hand pieces are sterilised between appointments in
an autoclave (a machine that sterilises instruments). This process causes
accelerated degeneration of the hand pieces. We regularly invest in updating
the equipment we use and maintain it to the highest standards.
- Our autoclaves and sterilisers are monitored regularly by an independent
body to ensure that they are functioning effectively.
- Disposable items are used wherever possible e.g suction tubes, cups,
protective sheaths, unit covers etc.
- A pre-sterilised single-use needle is always used for every patient and
has been within the practice for the last forty years.
- Gloves are worn for all procedures. Protective glasses are provided
for patients whenever necessary.
- Overalls, masks and glasses are worn by members of the dental team.
- To prevent cross infection and accidental inhalation or swallowing of
the small instruments that some treatments require, we use rubber dam
(a protective barrier).
- All our clinical waste and contaminated sharp items are disposed of in
the recommended manner by registered carriers and incinerated to
prevent contamination of land-fill sites.
- Our X ray technique, film speed and intensifying screens are all recognised
as reducing radiation exposure to a minimum.
- We have an audited Quality Assurance programme for all X rays taken
in the practice.
- We only take X rays when indicated and use alternative methods where
possible. We use a digital X-ray system which minimises patient radiation
but at the same time maximises image quality.
- We constantly review our procedures and keep abreast of the latest
research. We would like to reassure all our patients of our commitment
to the highest standard of infection control as well as dental excellence.